And now for something completely different...

Crisp air stung my cheeks and tousled my hair. I saw others smiling as they bounced through the park, coats and mittens and boots shielding them from a playful chill, but to me it felt like a bully's torments. I couldn't help but glance over my shoulder every few steps despite the daylight and crowds and I hated even the momentary fog that blew from my mouth, corrupting my vision. 

I stopped at the bush where the paramedics had found me all those years ago. The blood had long since soaked into the earth; not that there had been much of it. I'd been told over and over how lucky I was that the night was so cold, that I'd had the instinct to keep pressure on my wound. Instinct. Lucky. I took a hand out of my pocket and traced a finger down the long scar from just below my ear to the middle of my esophagus. It was thin, but drew stares. My voice had mostly healed; of course I could still hear the difference.

I hated the winter. It reminded me of all I'd lost despite my efforts to do the right thing. Whatever that was, now. I felt as though my moral compass had been shattered, thrown to the ground too many times and now was far beyond repair.

A child's soccer ball flew toward me and I blocked, returning it to its owner with a ruthless kick. The child grinned and waved, running away again as the ball soared over her head. A deep breath of the frigid air should have calmed me, but what was there to calm? The earth had soaked up more than just my blood that night; it had also taken everything that made me care about this world and the people in it.

I turned a tired eye toward the street where a black SUV waited. It seemed my chariot had arrived.


----- Scene inspired by Wesley Wyndam-Pryce from Angel: Seasons 3 - 4, by Joss Whedon

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah? :D

      Did you have a chance to see Angel? If not, this is MAJOR spoilers... sorry about that. Forgot to mention it... :\

      Delete
  2. Well done! You convey the emotions very clearly. One nit-pick: the scar would run to his trachea, not his esophagus; the esophagus is in the center of the throat and isn't visible to the outside. What you see is the trachea. (Your Useless Fact for the Day TM) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is legit. More medical education on my horizon, clearly. :D

      Delete
  3. "My voice had mostly healed; of course I could still hear the difference." From the two singers I know who have gone through thyroid-related vocal surgery, this is hella poignant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Partners in Magic

The Broken Hiatus